Sunday, July 3, 2011

Recipe-aholic. Some of my views on cooking

    In a previous post' [Cookbook-aholic. Damn you Betty Crocker] I shared my "problem" [Fetish really] with cookbooks. What I failed to disclose is that my "problem" is even worse than I originally led you to believe. For that, I must make amends. [I believe that is 1 of the 12 steps to recovery, though I suspect I am too far gone to ever change] I should have included recipes. You know the ones I mean. The little recipe cards at the grocery store, either in produce, or by the meat counter. [Bonus points if they have them both places] There are also the cards that they hand out when they are doing a sampling of some new product. The State Fair is also a great place to get recipe cards. You don't have to look very far to find a recipe. Newspapers, on boxes, in boxes, magazines.... They are everywhere, and I grab 'em, bring them home and put them on top of the microwave. Now you would think that the kitchen would be overflowing with recipe cards, but it isn't. It just occurred to me that the Mizzrus probably throws them out after a couple of days. The ironic [Sad and demented] thing about it is, I don't follow recipes. I collect all these cookbooks, and recipes, then don't follow them.[Does that seem like a problem to you???]
    Which leads me to share some of my thoughts on food with you today:
 We all have to eat to live. Food connects us to everyone else on the planet.
Historically, what we eat is based on where we live, socio-economic status [Google "High on the hog"], and  religion. [The Outback will not do very well in India]
Some of our best memories are based on something we ate, or the feelings we had with friends or family around the kitchen table.
Eating is one of the only things that we do on a daily basis that engages all of our senses. [Sex can do that too, but I don't have that on a daily basis. Your mileage may vary...]
Recipes are only a GUIDELINE. If you feel that whatever you are cooking will not be good unless you follow the recipe to the letter, then,  you my friend, are a Baker.
I believe that anyone who wants to, can be an accomplished cook.
Expect to fail. Mistakes will be made. Something will be over cooked, under cooked, over spiced, under spiced. Analyze what went wrong, remember what went right, and don't be too hard on yourself. Worst case scenario [other than a fire] you have to order take out.
Because we eat with our eyes too: Garnish your plates. I guarantee that even if you are having peas out of a can, fish sticks from the freezer, and instant mashed potatoes,  a garnish and artful arranging will make it taste better. Think fish sticks arranged like # and some dried parsley flakes on the potatoes.
    So folks, those are some of my thoughts on cooking. It is my hope that I can get you as excited about cooking as I am. In future posts I will share some of the things I'm "geeking out" on at the time. In the words of Bill Cosby on the Fat Albert show, "If you're not careful... You might just learn something...". Next post will probably be about my must have pantry items and possibly an introduction to Miso.
Questions, comments, or just to say "Hi"  rj.will3@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment